Friday, June 7, 2019

Bar Recollections

Shaker Cafe
Open even on Sunday afternoons.
Kind about filling up measuring cup of caffe for us to make tiramisu.
Always seem happy to see us.
Owner stands outside in doorway smoking and looking at his phone a lot.  If we walk by, he looks up and says, "Ciao," or gives us a nod.

Break Bar
We used to consider using their internet when ours went out.  But we never did.  They know us now.  Me, because I occasionally go in for coffee; the kids, because they occasionally go in to get a gelato from the freezer or a bag of chips; Daniel, because he goes in to buy a parking ticket for the Fiat.  When Cristina and Marco came over for dinner last week, I asked Mary to ask them whether they'd like coffee after dinner.  If they did, I told her, sneak out quietly, go down to Break Bar and get the coffee.  Mary got it.  I heard her offer Cristina coffee.  Cristina said yes, and then said that she wanted to see Mary make it (since Marco taught us months ago).  Mary and I laughed and laughed, then fessed up our plan.  Graciously, Cristina still accepted the offer if I got one, too.  I got decaffeinated as it was 10pm.  When Cristina tells us that coffee keeps her awake, we ask her, "Deca?"  She says, "No!  Caffe or no caffe.  No deca per Italiani."

Cris. Bros.
I like this place.  It's on Piazza Fontana Grande, but off the main road if I don't want to run into SYA folks.  In the winter, I step inside for a few moments for a quick coffee before afternoon classes.  In warm weather, I've sat outside at a table a few times with Daniel.


Bar 103
"Cappuccino deca?" Nadia or Olga says when I go in.  Preferred bar for SYA faculty.


Happiness Cafe
The owner is often opening when we walk by to go to school.  "Ciao, Anna!" she calls.  She's been nice to us since early on in the fall, always welcoming.  My sister went there, my dad and Jacqueline, Daniel's parents.  We can sit outside.  She told Dad and Jacqueline after a few days to get a caffe americana, thinking that they would like that better than a cappuccino.  One Saturday morning as we were leaving, Hannah asked me to buy her a pack of Bubba gum.  I said no.  The owner asked, Che cosa vuole?  Anna, che cosa?  I shook my head, then told her.  She picked up the pack of gum, handed it to Hannah and said, "Non fare complimenti."  Hannah looked at me.  I let her accept the pack of gum.  The Italians love small kids.

Red Rose
They give me a shot glass of water with my coffee even though I'm not Italian and they know it.  I love this gesture.  It makes me feel that I belong here, or, even if I don't, they are welcoming me.  If I speak Italian, they speak it with me, too.  You can sit outside here under a tent-like-structure if you don't mind the smoke.

San Sisto
My friend Julie and I had cappuccino here.  Daniel bumped his head here when we sat upstairs on the comfy couches: the ceiling is low low.  I love looking in, spying a bit through the glass, when I walk down Via Garibaldi from Porta Romana.

Napoleon Bar
Sebastian and Mary's favorite spot after soccer and swim (respectively).  The best hot chocolate, they tell me.  I like the woman who works there because she's friendly.

Geko Bar
My favorite spot between swim and soccer practices.  It's bright and a little closer to the field for picking up Hannah afterwards.  And I like sitting there by myself or with them -- Mary going through her day; Sebastian telling me his highs and lows from soccer practice.  (One week Mary asks him, "Did you score again?"  He says, "No."  She says, "But you said you got two goals last week at practice."  Sebastian says, "That was a fluke.")


No comments:

Post a Comment